Our philosophy on recovery from illness to mental health
NAMI Wayne and Holmes Counties believes recovery is possible. We’re committed to providing education and fostering group discussion of recovery strategies in a safe environment.
What is recovery?
Recovery is a process of restoring or developing a positive and meaningful sense of identity apart from one’s condition and then rebuilding one’s life despite, or within, the limitations imposed by that condition. Recovery is both a goal and a lifestyle that supports this goal; it’s a personal journey and varies from person to person.
What we believe about the recovery process
• We believe recovery is made possible when a person accepts responsibility for his or her own wellness.
• We believe recovery does not occur in one single moment. It takes time, planning and effort, combined with hope that comes from sharing concerns and successes with others who have similar issues.
• We believe making a realistic and informed evaluation of one’s present circumstances is a critical step on the path to recovery.
• We believe setting achievable goals is crucial to recovery.
• We believe it’s important for individuals to have a step-by-step guide and plan to achieving his or her goals for recovery.